WOW Campaign 2018
Clean Eating Chocolate Oatmeal No Bake Bars
Try these bars for a quick and healthier way to satisfy your sweet tooth!
Total Prep Time: 5 minutes
Yields: 9-12 bars
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons peanut butter (or allergy-friendly sub)
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, honey, or agave
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil (48g)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick oats (180g)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder or substitute carob powder
Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment or wax paper. Set aside. Stir together the first three ingredients. Gently heat until the oil is melted, and peanut butter is easily stir-able. Whisk in the vanilla extract and salt, stirring until completely smooth. Stir in the quick oats and cocoa powder until evenly coated. Smooth into the prepared pan and press down with a spoon as hard as you can. Really pack it in. Freeze until firm enough to cut. Leftovers can stay out a few hours, but you can keep them in the freezer for optimum freshness, where they last a few weeks.
“I am trying to eat more oatmeal as I have read that it takes the bad cholesterol out of your system. I am now experimenting with the ingredients in this recipe. I always use organic maple syrup that you can buy at Home Goods for the same price as regular syrup. I have lowered the amount of peanut butter and coconut oil a bit and increased the oatmeal and still got a tasty breakfast bar. You can leave out the cocoa powder for a peanut butter version too.” Sherry Starr, NCC Office Executive Administrative Assistant, Treasury
Vegan Nacho Cheese!
2 cups potatoes, diced large
1 cup carrots, diced large
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 tsp onion powder (opt.)
1/4 tsp garlic powder (opt.)
dash of cayenne (opt.) I use 1/4 tsp
1/2 tsp McKay's Chicken-style Seasoning (from the ABC Store)
Boil the potatoes and carrots until soft.
Blend potatoes and carrots together along with the rest of the ingredients on high in a blender(food processor) until the cheese is extremely smooth.
Serve hot over chips, in burritos, with veggies... it's delish!
Submitted by: Gynna Clemes, NCC Human Resources Information Systems Specialist
Yum – Vegan Chili!
How about taking off the chill of January with a nice hot bowl of what’s been called “The Best Vegan Chili Ever!!!”
For the Chili:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 19 oz can black beans (2 cups) , drained and rinsed
- 1 19 oz can kidney beans (2 cups), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water (plus more if needed)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
For the Tofu:
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 350g block extra-firm tofu
- For the Chili: Add the olive oil to a large pot and heat over medium-high heat. Add in the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent and just begins to brown. Add in the tomatoes, beans, water, and all of the spices. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer and continue to simmer for 1 hour. If the chili gets too thick, just splash in more water to reach desired consistency.
- For the Tofu: In the meantime, preheat your oven to 350F (180C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or lightly grease the pan.
- Mix nutritional yeast, soy sauce, and olive oil together in a large bowl. Open and drain the tofu (no need to press it), then break off chunks and crumble with your fingers into the bowl. Do this with all of the tofu until you have a large bowl of crumbles. Stir the tofu crumbles well making sure all of the tofu is evenly coated in the nutritional yeast mix.
- Spread the tofu mixture evenly over the pan. Bake for about 45 mins, stopping to stir the tofu every now and then. Keep a close eye on it towards the end so that it doesn't burn. You want the tofu to be nice and browned. The smaller crumbles will be darker than the larger crumbles, and that's ok because it will provide a variety of texture.
- When the chili and tofu are both prepared, stir in the tofu crumbles and continue to cook the for another 5 minutes. This will allow the tofu to absorb the sauce and get gloriously chewy. Serve hot with a dollop of vegan sour cream and a sprinkle of chives if desired.
Submitted by: Elizabeth Miller, NCC Administrative Assistant, Planned Giving and Trust Services/Property Management
Northern California Conference of Seventh-day Adventists | 401 Taylor Blvd. | P.O. Box 23165 | Pleasant Hill, CA 94523 | (925) 685-4300 | firstname.lastname@example.org